STOP® For Each Other
STOP® For Each Other is based on the idea that safety is everyone's responsibility. It is designed to help participants look at safety in a new way, so they can help themselves and their co-workers work safely. During the program participants develop their safety awareness and talk with others about all aspects of safety.
STOP® For Each Other focuses on:
- Everyday safety – not just auditing. The program covers formal observations in the final unit, as another way to use
the observation and communication skills learned in the program.
- Safety of co-workers. STOP® For Each Other emphasizes how peers rely on each other to work safely in the
workplace. It's not just about personal safety.
- Conditions as well as actions. STOP® For Each Other highlights how the interaction of people and conditions
work together to produce safe or unsafe situations.
- Peer-to-peer communication. STOP® For Each Other encourages a mindset where safety is an everyday discussion,
not just completing a formal observation.
- An educational approach. Thinking and reflection are encouraged, instead of learning through repetition
Important STOP® For Each Other concepts include:
- "Seeing Safety." The organization becomes attuned to safety so that the individual automatically notices safe or unsafe practices throughout the workplace and home. Also called "Making Safety Second Nature," this mirrors the way DuPont employees are sensitized to safety.
- "We depend on each other." Peers rely on themselves and each other to stay safe.
- "Show me you care, make me aware." The program gives peers permission to talk with each other about safety.
STOP® For Each Other is especially well suited for delivery to any peer group or personnel in team-based or flat organizations that have personal responsibility for their safety and the safety of co-workers. STOP® For Each Other also works well for organizations that have used STOP® For Each Other and wish to train non-supervisory personnel or to conduct refresher training in safety.
The educational approach is the "three-legged stool" used in all STOP® offerings from DuPont:
- Individual self-study through workbooks
- Review/workplace application activities
- Group meetings in which participants view video, discuss concepts introduced in workbook and video, and apply the concepts to their workplace
STOP® For Each Other job-focused application activities make safety real, not theoretical. As a result, participants gain better understanding of concepts and skills, with wider application and use of the knowledge learned.
STOP® For Each Other fosters a culture of caring and concern that focuses on prevention, working safely and communication.
Content and Materials
STOP® For Each Other begins with an Implementation Assistance Workshop led by a DuPont safety expert. It also includes self-study workbooks, field activities and group discussion meetings with videos on DVD. These components work together to introduce and reinforce the STOP® concepts that help participants change their approach to safety. The result is an effective safety program that can significantly reduce incidents and injuries at your site.
STOP® For Each Other program components include:
- Implementation Assistance Workshop
- Preview DVD: Introduces participants to the program and materials
- Five program workbooks and a DVD covering the following topics:
- The STOP® Safety Cycle
- Conditions, Positions of People, Personal Protective Equipment, and Tools and Equipment
- Procedures, Orderliness Standards, Reactions of People, and Talking with Others
- Conducting Safety Observations
- Refresher Workbook: Reviews key concepts and practices sixmonths after implementation
- Administrator Guide: Includes information on how toimplement and administer STOP® For Each Other.
- Leader's Guide: Includes meeting plans for each unit,kick-off meeting and closing meeting with step-by-step instructions for reviewing field activities, planning andconducting group meetings
- Discussion Aid CD: Includes presentations forgroup meetings
- Observation Cards
- Observation Checklists
STOP® For Each Other Workbooks are also available in an e-learning format that allows participants to listen to interactive readings, watch videos and learn at their own speed.
- STOP® For Each Other (unit 1)
- STOP® For Each Other (unit 2)
- STOP® For Each Other (unit 3)
- STOP® For Each Other (unit 4)
- STOP® For Each Other (unit 5)