STOP® For Ergonomics
STOP® For Ergonomics focuses on:
- Hazard awareness. Increasing awareness of ergonomic hazards in the workplace.
- Risk identification. Observing for ergonomic risk factors: static posture, awkward posture; forceful exertions; repetitive motion; contact stress; and vibration.
- Injury prevention. Preventing injuries related to musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) and the suffering they cause.
- An educational approach. Looking at safety in a new way using ergonomic observation categories:
- Repetitive motion
- Contact stress
Important STOP® For Ergonomics concepts include:
- "Complete prevention" - All ergonomic injuries can be prevented.
- "Safety in numbers" - Ergonomic safety is everyone's responsibility.
- "We depend on each other" - Peers rely on themselves and each other to prevent injuries and address issues.
STOP® For Ergonomics is appropriate for all levels of employees regardless of organizational structure. It serves as an entry point for organizations working to improve their safety record. It also serves as an effective follow up for work sites that have completed STOP® For Supervision or STOP® For Each Other.
The educational approach is the "three-legged stool" used in all STOP® offerings:
- Individual self-study through workbooks
- Review workplace application activities
- Group meetings in which participants view videos, discuss concepts introduced in workbook and video and apply the concepts to their workplace
Content and Materials
- Implementation Assistance Workshop
- Preview video: Introduces participants to the program and materials.
- Four program workbooks and 4 program videos covering the following topics:
- Introduction to STOP®: Using STOP® to Prevent Injuries
- Understanding Postures and Excessive Force
- Understanding Repetitive Motion: Contact Stress and Vibration
- Conducting Formal Observations: Thinking About Solutions
- Administrator's and Leader's Guide: Includes meeting plans and hard copy of meeting presentation materials
- Observation checklists
- Observation cards