STOP® For Supervision
STOP®(Safety Training Observation Program) For Supervision is a member of the award-winning DuPont portfolio of workplace safety training. Other offerings include STOP DataPro®, STOP® For Each Other, and STOP® For Ergonomics.
STOP® For Supervision focuses on:
Regular spontaneous safety observations and frequent scheduled safety observations to note safe and unsafe actions and conditions. The program enables discussions with people about safe and unsafe work practices Participants apply their new skills to formal observation at the end of the program.
Everyday safety as well as observing. Participants work on developing their observation and communication skills throughout STOP® For Supervision, to make safety a part of regular operations, not a special event.
- Conditions as well as actions of people, safe and unsafe
- Communication about safety every day, not just while observing
- An educational approach that encourages thinking and reflection, rather than learning through repetition Important STOP® For Supervision Concepts include:
- All injuries and occupational illnesses can be prevented. This is a frame of mind, a way of approaching safety that means there is always something that can be done to prevent injuries.
- Supervisors and team leaders are responsible and accountable for the safety of their employees. Safety is just as important as production, cost, and other business issues for which supervisors and team leaders are responsible.
- Seeing Safety. This means becoming so attuned to safety that a person automatically notices it wherever he or she is. Also called "Making safety second nature," this mirrors the way DuPont employees are sensitized to safety.
The education approach is the "three-legged stool" used in all STOP® offerings:
- Individual self-study, through workbooks
- Review/workplace application activities
- Group meetings, in which participants view the videotapes, discuss concepts introduced in the workbook and videos, then apply the concepts to their workplace
STOP® For Supervision uses methods that are thought provoking and interactive.
Content and Materials
- Implementation Assistance Workshop
- Particpants in STOP For Supervision have access to the following resources.
- Five program workbooks and one refresher unit; one preview video and 5 program videos covering the following topics:
- Introduction to STOP®: Using STOP® to Prevent Injuries
- Starting to See Safety: Personal Protective Equipment
- New Ways of Seeing Safety: Positions of People and Tools and Equipment
- Enhancing Your Skills: Procedures and Orderliness and Reactions of People
- Conducting STOP® Safety Observations
- Refresher (delivered 6 months after completion of program)
- Separate Administrator’s Guide and Leader’s Guide, which include meeting plans and hard copy of meeting presentation materials
- Observation cards
- Observation checklists
- STOP® For Supervision (unit 1)
- STOP® For Supervision (unit 2)
- STOP® For Supervision (unit 3)
- STOP® For Supervision (unit 4)
- STOP® For Supervision (unit 5)