Sixteen companies won top honors in the magazine's fourth annual contest, which attracted a record 62 entries. Winners will receive their trophies at this year's National Safety Council Congress & Expo in Orlando.
DALLAS, September 6, 2012 – Sixteen companies, including multiple category winners 3M™ and Ergodyne, were recognized today for winning Occupational Health & Safety magazine's fourth annual New Product of the Year contest. The announcement was made during the Occupational Health & Safety Virtual Event. Editor Jerry Laws and other staffers from the magazine will present trophies to the winning companies during the National Safety Council Congress & Expo in Orlando next month.
This year's contest attracted a record 62 products in 19 award categories, with an independent panel of three highly qualified judges choosing the winners.
"Our judges were especially complimentary about the quality and the number of entries when they returned their scoresheets this year," said Laws.
Frank McDaniel, safety director at Helix Electric (San Diego, CA), served as a NPOY judge for the first time and said, "I wanted to take a minute and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to participate in such a worthwhile contest. I must say, I was impressed not only with the number of entries, but the wide range of innovative safety products as well."
"Once again, the scores were extremely close, with a tie score producing two winners in the hand protection category," Laws said. "I congratulate all of the entrants on their fine work and thank them for participating. We hope they'll enter next year's contest, as well."
To be eligible for the 2012 awards, products must have been introduced to the market between July 4, 2011, and July 4, 2012. The judges were:
- Linda J. Sherrard, MS, CSP, safety consultant II for the North Carolina Department of Public Safety (Raleigh, NC) and former technical editor of OHS.
- Joe E. Beck, professor in the Eastern Kentucky University Department of Environmental Health Sciences (Richmond, KY) and a member of the OHS editorial advisory board.
- McDaniel, who is JJ Keller & Associates' 2012 Safety Professional of the Year.
The award winners, the categories in which they won, and their winning products are:
- 3E: Hazmat Safety, Retail Hazardous Waste Compliance Solutions
- 3M™: Head Protection, H-700 Series Hard Hat
- 3M™: Respiratory Protection, Versaflo™ Respirator System
- 3M™: Vision Protection, Speedglas™ 9100 FX-Air Welding Helmet
- Accuform Signs®: Signage & Identification, Signs-By-The-Roll
- Capital Safety: Fall Protection, DBI-SALA® Nano-Lok™ Self Retracting Lifeline
- CBS ArcSafe: Electrical Safety, RRS-3 MBII
- ChemSW: EHS Software, Safety Inspection Live
- DeLorme: Emergency Response, inReach™
- DuPont Sustainable Solutions, On-Site Training, Miracle on the Hudson: Prepare for Safety
- Ergodyne: Hand Protection, ProFlex 8190D Thermal Waterproof Gauntlet Glove
- Ergodyne: Protective Apparel, Arsenal® 5510 Industrial MOLLE Vest
- ESC Services: Lockout/Tagout and Machine Guarding, iPad QR Code Real-Time
- Lockout-Tagout Auditing
- Industrial Scientific: Industrial Hygiene, Accenture Life Safety Solution (a collaborative solution by Accenture, AeroScout, Cisco, and Industrial Scientific — including the Ventis LS and iNet by Industrial Scientific)
- Jackson Safety: Hand Protection, G60 EN388 Level 2 Polyurethane Coated Cut Resistant Glove
- KHA Online: MSDS Management, SDS HazCom and Inventory Kiosk
- Nielsen-Kellerman, Heat Stress Prevention: Kestrel® 4400 Heat Stress Tracker
- Sensear: Hearing Protection, SP2x
- Wolverine: Foot Protection, Wolverine Gear Work Boot
In addition to being honored today, the winners are featured on Occupational Health & Safety's industry-leading website, www.ohsonline.com.
For more information, please contact:
Group Marketing Manager, 1105 Media
Security, Safety, and Environmental Protection Group
14901 Quorum Drive, Suite
425Dallas, TX 75254